So many people who are looking for a side gig are making money in the gig economy working as a food delivery driver thanks to many delivery app services out there. Food delivery app services such as DoorDash, Uber Eats and Grubhub have exploded in popularity over the last few years in the United States.
Are you looking to become a food delivery driver for one of the best on-demand food delivery services but need some guidance? DoorDash and Uber Eats are two of the best food delivery services that allow you to make money working as a food delivery driver.
While you can become a food delivery driver for either platform, there are differences between the two delivery app services. In this article, we will compare some of the pros and cons of two of the biggest food delivery services both DoorDash and Uber Eats and share everything you need to know about “DoorDash vs Uber Eats: Which one is better for drivers?” to help you decide which one is best fit for you.
About DoorDash vs Uber Eats – An Overview
With both of these on-demand delivery services, you will get orders on its app, drive to the location and pick up the order from restaurants around your city, and deliver the food to the customer’s location.
What is DoorDash?
Want free money?
- Aspiration: Want to get spotted a $100 for free? Simply sign up for Aspiration, and the free banking app will give you cash for free, you just relax while it gives you $100 just for opening a new debit card. There’s no catch. This bank account is legit and only takes two minutes to sign up for an account.
DoorDash is one of the largest on-demand food delivery services in the U.S. It is also available in Canada and Australia. DoorDash delivery drivers are called Dashers, and as with Uber Eats, DoorDash delivery drivers can complete deliveries via car, scooter, or motorcycle (bike).
Once you are accepted as a DoorDash delivery driver, known as a Dasher, you pick up food delivery orders via the DoorDash app and deliver them to the eaters. You are paid after each delivery. You can work as much or as little as you want.
DoorDash Drivers get paid weekly with direct deposits into their bank account, but they also have the option to use Fast Pay that charges $1.99 each time to get paid the same day.
What is Uber Eats?
Uber Eats is an on-demand food delivery app service focused on delivering foods to the customer’s location. Uber Eats is available in almost every city in which its parent company ‘Uber’ operates. Uber Eats acquired another popular delivery service Postmates in July 2020.
Once you are accepted as an Uber Eats delivery driver, you just turn on the app and accept or decline delivery requests based on your interests. You are paid after each delivery. You can work as much or as little as you want.
Uber Eats drivers get paid weekly via direct deposit into their bank account. But they also have the option to withdraw their earnings up to 5 times per day by using Instant Pay that costs $0.50 per cash out, or cash out immediately without charge to an Uber Visa Debit Card up to 5 times per day.
DoorDash vs Uber Eats: Pros and Cons
Benefits of Delivering with DoorDash
- Drivers are allowed to use other types of vehicles other than cars, depending on the city they live in
- As a Dasher, you are paid per delivery
- Drivers have the option to get paid the same day
- Drivers can choose their own schedule, so very flexible job
Disadvantages of Delivering with DoorDash
- The mileage fee is fairly low
- Pick up times can be long if you are in a busy city
- Not available in every city or town
Benefits of Delivering with Uber Eats
- Flexible working hours, so delivery drivers can log in and work at any time
- When demand is high, you will earn more
- Drivers can deliver from multiple restaurants
- Uber Eats is easier of the two platforms for signing up, especially for Uber drivers to sign up as a food delivery driver
- Uber Eats drivers have the option to withdraw their earnings up to 5 times per day
Disadvantages of Delivering with Uber Eats
- Drivers cannot schedule shifts
- How much you earn depends on your location, the hours that you drive and other factors, so it is difficult to know how much you can earn on a regular basis
- Strict vehicle requirements
- Not available in every city or town
DoorDash vs Uber Eats: City Availability
Do you want to make money as a delivery driver with DoorDash or Uber Eats? Then check the availability of both these companies’ apps in your city or market. If you live in a major US city, you will likely have both these delivery apps available.
Your ability to drive for either of these platforms depends on whether or not they are available in the city or town that you live in. Below we will look at what cities DoorDash or Uber Eats is available in.
City Availability DoorDash
DoorDash is available in over 4,000 cities and towns in the United States and in over 80 cities and towns in Canada. DoorDash is also available in Australia.
Both of these food delivery services are available in bigger cities and towns across the U.S.
If you want to be a Dasher, the first step is to check if DoorDash is available in your area or city. If it is not available yet, it could be in your area soon, as DoorDash is growing rapidly! You can check here to see if DoorDash is available in your city or town.
City Availability Uber Eats
Uber Eats is available in over 6,000 cities across 45 countries around the world, including large cities like New York City, Los Angeles, London, Amsterdam and Sydney. Uber Eats is even available in some locations where its parent company Uber’s ridesharing service is yet to launch.
You can visit ubereats.com or check the Uber Eats app to see if Uber Eats is available in your city.
Driver and Vehicle Requirements
Are you wondering how does DoorDash or Uber Eats require you to be a food delivery driver? Here is everything you need to know in order to get started.
DoorDash Driver and Vehicle Requirements
If you enjoy driving, have good customer service skills and time-keeping skills and meet all of the requirements below, you can easily become an DoorDash driver.
- You can drive your car or ride your bike or scooter to complete deliveries
- You must be at least 18 years old, although various locations will require drivers to be at least 21 years, so check your specific area to find the requirements
- You must have a valid driver’s license, registration, and vehicle insurance (for all delivery partners with a car or scooter)
- You must have at least 1 year of licensed driving experience
- You must pass a background and driving record check
- Once you are approved as a Dasher, you must complete an orientation in person or online to start delivering
Uber Eats Driver and Vehicle Requirements
Want To Earn Easy Money?
Uber Eats has similar features to Uber. Depending on the city you live in, you can choose your vehicle or mode of transportation to become an Uber Eats driver.
As with DoorDash, if you enjoy driving, have excellent communication and time-keeping skills and meet all of the requirements below, you can easily become an Uber Eats driver.
- Depending on your area/city, you may be able to drive your car or ride your bike or scooter for deliveries
- You must be at least 19 years old, or meet the minimum age to drive in your city, depending on your city (for all delivery partners with a car or scooter)
- You must have a 2-door or 4-door car that is not older than 20 years
- You must have a valid driver’s license, registration, and vehicle insurance (for all delivery partners with a car or scooter).
- You need a valid state-issued photo ID for bike delivery
- You must have at least 1 year of licensed driving experience
- All delivery partners with a scooter must be at least 19 years old, while bike couriers need to be at least 18 years old
- Have a motorized scooter under 50cc (for all delivery partners with a scooter)
- Drivers must pass a background check before they can start delivering
The main difference between DoorDash and Uber Eats is that Uber Eats has more strict vehicle requirements, compared to DoorDash.
DoorDash vs Uber Eats – How to Apply?
Want to be a Dasher with DoorDash or a food delivery driver with Uber Eats to make some extra money or do a full-time job? Whether you want to start a side hustle or are looking for a job you can do full-time as a food delivery driver with DoorDash or Uber Eats, the sign up process is different between the two platforms.
Start Delivering with DoorDash
DoorDash is looking for people who want to start delivering food to earn extra money and work on their own schedule.
You choose the hours you work and get paid cash per order (once you have access to fast pay).
Want to try out DoorDash? Here is how to get started:
- To become a Dasher, sign up for DoorDash here
- Pass a driver screening process
- Download and install the app oonce you are approved by DoorDash
- Attend an in-person or online driver orientation and and start delivering
It can take 3-10 days to get approved as a Dasher.
Once you sign up to become a dasher, DoorDash will reach out about an orientation. Complete the orientation, and you’re on your way towards getting paid for every completed delivery PLUS 100% of tips received.
This is such an easy way to make money by delivering on your free time while making extra cash and funding your personal goals. You can reach a goal of making $1,000 fast in just one month.
Start Delivering with Uber Eats
Want to get started now to make money with Uber Eats? Here is how the registration process works:
- Sign up for Uber Eats here to become food delivery driver
- Upload the required documents – proof of license and insurance
- Consent to a background check
- Once you are approved, start taking orders from customers
It usually takes 7 days to complete the registration process – to get approved.
DoorDash vs Uber Eats: How Much Drivers Make?
Your earning potential is similar on each platform if the customers in your area use both these delivery services. Your income with either platform is based on how much you work.
But when it comes to who pays drivers more, you will need to know how each food delivery app pays drivers.
How much can I make with DoorDash as a delivery driver?
DoorDash pays Dashers (drivers) based on the Dasher pay model that includes:
- Base Pay
Base Pay is DoorDash’s base contribution for each order that a Dasher completes. It ranges from $2-10+, depending on the estimated time, distance, and desirability of the order. Promotions allow Dashers an opportunity to earn more per delivery when they deliver during busier hours. This is known as Peak Pay.
Promotions will also include Challenges that will pay more active Dashers Challenge Bonuses and other incentives you take on to where you complete a certain number of orders in a set amount of time. Promotions also allow you to earn a large order fee for completing large orders on grocery, known as Drive orders.
On average, Dashers earn around $12-15 per hour. Drivers get to keep 100% of their tips from customers when they deliver the food.
How much can I make with Uber Eats as a delivery driver?
How much you can earn as a delivery driver with Uber Eats is based on distance traveled and delivery fees paid by the customer. You can also earn more money if you deliver during busier hours of the day.
On average, Uber Eats drivers earn around $14 per hour. Like DoorDash, you get to keep 100% of your tips that customers give you while working as a food delivery driver with Uber Eats.
The number of restaurants and stores you can deliver for directly with either platform will affect your earnings.
When deciding to become a food delivery driver with either DoorDash or Uber Eats, you must weigh all the pros and cons and other factors of the two platforms to determine which one will be more profitable for you. Jobs like Amazon Flex and other delivery jobs are proven ways to earn money on the side or full time.
Uber Eats is a perfect income opportunity for you if you are already an Uber rideshare driver, as it may be easier to sign up for Uber Eats than DoorDash. You can sign up for either, or both food delivery app services to increase your chances to make more money.